I'll start by saying you don't need to use blue crab for this recipe. Any type of crab meat will do. I just happened to pick up a jar of Pontchartrain Blue Crab at Whole Foods, so that is what I used. It was really good. I think this is the first time I have eaten blue crab. We liked the mild, not too fishy flavor.
- 1 8 oz jar of crab meat or 8 oz fresh crabmeat
- 8 very large white button mushrooms or 3-4 medium portobello mushrooms
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 2 shallots (finely diced)
- 2 large cloves garlic (finely diced)
- 4 TBS Seasoned Panko Bread crumbs
- 1 TBS mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 scallions chopped (green part only)
- 3 TBS Parmesan cheese (grated)
- Crushed Red Pepper flakes to taste
- For the Sriracha sauce:
- 3-4 TBS mayonnaise
- 1-2 TBS Sriracha sauce
- Juice of ½ lime
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wipe the mushrooms clean if needed but do not use water. Pull the stems out and finely chop them.
- Add the oil to a large skillet and heat to medium. Add the chopped mushroom steam, chopped garlic and chopped shallot.
- Cook until the mushrooms have released their moisture and it has cooked off.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool in a medium bowl.
- Place the whole mushrooms in the same pan and heat over low until they begin cooking and release their liquid. Turn once during cooking. They should still be firm because they will finish cooking in the oven. You just want to get them to the point that the liquid is released.
- Remove the cooked mushrooms from the skillet and place them on a cookie sheet or baking tray.
- To the cooked mushrooms and shallots add the mayonnaise, green onion, cheese, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper. Mix well with a fork.
- Use a scoop to fill each mushroom evenly with the crab stuffing. Bake the stuffed mushrooms for 12-15 minutes or until the tops are lightly golden brown. Place under the broiler for an additional minute or two to crisp up the tops for a bit of crunch.
- Mix the mayonnaise, Sriracha sauce, salt and lime juice in small bowl. Serve on the side with the stuffed mushrooms. You can make this as hot or mild as you like.