I found this old post for Artichoke Pizza with Pancetta buried in the blog from March 20, 2014! It languished for almost six years without being assigned a category and no way for it to be seen. What a waste! I am bringing it out of the darkness today because I remember eating this pizza and I know its delicious! This was the pizza where I finally mastered the art of getting the pizza to slide off the pizza peel. I discovered that if I built the pizza on parchment, it slid right off and onto the pizza stone. I baked it with the parchment in place and it was as easy to get off the hot pizza stone as it was to put on. I will be making this pizza again soon, plus others from our pizza repertoire.
Our Artichoke Pizza with Pancetta features garlic oil, red onions, feta and Parmesan too!. Yum.
- One small pizza dough
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic (finely pressed)
- 1/4 cup chopped pancetta
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Water packed artichoke hearts (I used 8 quarters)
- Thinly sliced red onion rings
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- Make the pizza dough of your choice. Place a pizza stone in the oven and heat to 500 degrees. The pizza stone should be heated through so allow plenty of time.
- Roll your pizza dough out on a piece of parchment paper to about 10 inches. You can make your pizza larger or smaller as you like. The dough should be about 1/2 inch thick.
- In a small non-stick skillet heat the olive oil and sauté the garlic for 2 minutes on low, being careful not to let it burn. Pour into a small bowl and set aside to cool. In the same skillet cook the pancetta until the fat is rendered and it just begins to crisp. Remove from heat and drain on paper towels. Place the artichoke hearts on paper towels to drain as well.
- Pour the garlic oil onto the prepared crust and brush to within 1/2 inch of the edge of crust. Top with freshly ground black pepper and oregano. Spread the mozzarella cheese evenly over the garlic oiled area of the crust, avoiding the edges. Sprinkle the drained pancetta evenly on pizza and top with the sliced red onions. Lay the artichoke hearts evenly on top. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan and dot with crumbled Feta. Brush the edge of the crust with olive oil.
- Tear or cut the parchment paper to within an inch of the crust. Slide a pizza peel under the parchment paper lifting the entire pizza. Open the oven door and carefully slide the pizza with the parchment off the peel and onto the hot pizza stone.
- Bake until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted, about 12-15 minutes. Remove from oven, cut with a pizza wheel and serve piping hot.