The Nutella craze is waning. Like most food fads, I am late to get on board this one too. Nutella and I actually go way back, almost twenty years. Every morning a co-worker and I enjoyed coffee and toast with Nutella in the break-room before starting our day. Turns out the co-worker was a bit wacko and she and I parted ways, along with the Nutella toast ritual. For whatever reason, I never bought another jar, until recently. Funny thing, I immediately thought about the whack job before I even opened the jar. Food has a way of taking us back to another place and time.
My reason for buying Nutella again was to try a recipe for Banana Muffins with a Nutella swirl. It is all over the internet, so much so that I can't even trace it back to the original source for proper credit. So, to all the bloggers with Banana Nutella Swirl Muffin recipes on their websites, thank you. They are good enough to almost make me forget the whack job with a unibrow and pigtails. Almost.
Here's the recipe, if you don't have it already.
Banana Nutella Muffins
- Muffin tin- 12 muffins
- Paper or foil muffin cups
- Large mixing bowl
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 over-ripe bananas mashed with a fork
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin tins with paper or foil liners.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl until well combined. Set dry ingredients aside.
- In large bowl, add the mashed banana, granulated sugar, brown sugar. Whisk to mix well. Beat in egg, oil and vanilla extract. Whisk the flour mixture into the wet ingredients, until there are no lumps. Fold in the chopped pecans.
- Fill muffin cups ⅔ full. Top each muffin with about 1 teaspoon of Nutella and use a toothpick to swirl it into the batter. You may need to warm the Nutella slightly in the microwave to aid in creating the swirl.
- Bake muffins for 15-17 minutes in a 350 degree oven or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm with butter or store in an airtight container until ready to serve.
Approximate nutrition information is provided as a convenience and courtesy only. You are encouraged to do your own calculations if precise data is required.