I don't know about you, but I am not enjoying this season of American Idol. I think many of the performances are lackluster and no one seems to have the "this competition is mine to lose" attitude. They are just phoning it in. It's getting better, but most Wednesday and Thursday nights I find excuses to wander in and out of the room while the show is airing. Thursday night was no exception. My wandering led me to the pantry looking for something sweet. It was bare except for ingredients to make something sweet. I figured I could miss JLo's 'lip-synced' I Luh Ya Papi and use the time to whip up a batch of chocolate chip cookies.
Since this was not planned, my usual ingredients weren't available. Instead of semi-sweet chocolate chips I had a bag of big dark chocolate chips. I was out of pecans, but I had a bag of dry roasted macadamia nuts in the freezer. I was too lazy to drag the heavy stand mixer in from the pantry, so I decided to grate the butter instead. I skipped the step where I usually cream the butter and stars together and just mixed it all together with a big wooden spoon. It worked well with the grated butter but I did need to bring out a hand mixer to get the dry ingredients incorporated.
These cookies were so good! The dough ended up kind of crumbly because I skipped the step of creaming the butter and sugars. But I think like biscuits, the dough did better with less handling. The cookies were a little crunchy at the edges and soft in the middle, just the way we like them. The combination of dark chocolate and macadamia is always good.
I only baked half the cookies the first night then the other half today. Michael likes warm cookies and cold milk and I like cold cookies and ice water.
Dark Chocolate Macadamia Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup bread flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup cold butter grated
- ¾ cups light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 cold eggs lightly beaten in a small bowl
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup macadamia nuts roughly chopped
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Grate the cold butter using a medium shrewd cheese grater. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients: the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat the grated butter with the sugars for 1 minute. Add the beaten eggs and vanilla extract and beat until they combine together. Add the dry ingredients a little at a time and mix with a hand mixer until just incorporated. Mixture will appear lumpy. Fold in chocolate chips and nuts. Chill the dough for 30 minutes before baking. Can be chilled overnight as well. To form cookies, use a large scoop and place the mounds on the parchment lined baking tray. Do not work the dough too much or strive for perfection. They should have nooks and crannies.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes in a preheated 375 degree oven. Take them out when the bottom are light golden brown.
Approximate nutrition information is provided as a convenience and courtesy only. You are encouraged to do your own calculations if precise data is required.