Lemons and blueberries are a perfect match and if I am going to have lemon blueberry muffins with my coffee, I had better get going. Today the temperatures on the West coast are near those on the sun, or so it seems. Flights are grounded, cooling stations are being set up, and HVAC companies have their phones set to go directly to voicemail. It is HOT and will be staying hot for several days.
Armed with a day off, half a lemon, a pint of blueberries, I decided to celebrate the end of Spring and the beginning of the season of Hades.
I got started early and made these delicious lemon blueberry muffins while the house was still cool enough to bake. These are crispy and crunchy on top from the coarse sugar and moist in the middle. They are best eaten while still warm. Where’s my coffee?
OK, I am off to find the coolest spot in the house and stay there for a few days. I’ll check back in when it is safe to come out. Seems like we are either hot or cold, never enjoying lovely temperate days and cool nights.
- 5 tablespoons melted butter (cooled)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 1/3 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (do not thaw frozen blueberries)
- Raw Sugar for topping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place nine paper muffin cups into a muffin pan. Place melted butter into a large mixing bowl. Add the sugar, egg, egg yolk, lemon zest, yogurt and whisk until creamy. Add the baking powder and mix. Add the baking soda and mix. Carefully fold in the flour followed by the blueberries being careful not to break up the berries. The batter will be thick like cookie dough but not dry. Divide the batter evenly between the muffin cups. Sprinkle one tablespoon of raw sugar (Turbinado) on the top of each muffin. Bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center come out clean. You might get soft blueberry but that is ok. Let the muffins cool for 15 minutes before serving. Best if eaten the first day.