Today is National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day, the culmination of National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Week. I've seen so many grilled cheese sandwich pictures and television bits this week that I couldn't go there. I did celebrate in my way with melted cheese in this Spanish Chorizo Quesadilla with melted cheese. Not officially a grilled cheese sandwich, it was close enough for me. In keeping with my recent craving for spicy food, it was a real hit.
Spanish chorizo gets its' red color from smoked paprika and, unlike Mexican chorizo, it is fully cooked and ready to eat. I happened to have a package of thinly sliced Spanish chorizo which looks a lot like pepperoni. It is perfect in a Quesadilla because it heats through quickly and releases delicious pork fat into the tortilla.
This quesadilla also includes shredded asadero and cheddar cheeses and spicy pickled jalapeño peppers, all melted together between soft, grilled flour tortillas. Yum. Worth every antacid.
- Flour tortillas
- Thinly sliced Spanish chorizo
- Cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Asadero cheese (shredded)
- Pickled jalapeño peppers (sliced)
- Butter or oil
- Place a griddle or large skillet over low to medium heat. brush lightly with butter or oil. Place a flour tortilla in the pan. Arrange slices of chorizo over the top. Heat until the tortilla turns lightly golden brown on the bottom and the chorizo is heated. Sprinkle with shredded cheeses and jalapeño peppers. You can fold it over or place another tortilla on top and flip it to cook the other die. Remove from heat when the cheese is melted. Eat immediately while the cheese is still melty and soft.