My garden bonanza culminated last week in a couple of days of creating sauces and salsas. Tomato & Tomatillo Salsas + Chili BBQ Sauce! I had peppers, tomatoes, onions and tomatillos to work with. I created a tomato and pepper garden salsa with fresh tomatoes, onions and peppers. Next came a verdant green tomatillo salsa and finally, a hot chile barbecue sauce. Here are the recipes for all three sauces. I am already planning a bigger garden for next year so I can make more of these delicious sauces and salsas!
We enjoyed the salsa with chips and on tacos.
Tomato and Pepper Salsa
- Food processor optional
- 1- quart stockpot
- Disposable gloves highly recommended
- Dishtowel highly recommended
- Freezer bags or containers
- 10 lbs tomatoes
- 1 cups fresh cilantro
- 1 large onions
- 6 garlic cloves
- 5 medium jalapeños
- 2 Habanero or scotch bonnet peppers to taste
- 1 cup chopped green peppers
- 1 tablespoons cumin
- ⅛ cup salt
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- Juice of 3 limes
- Peel and chop tomatoes. You can use a food processor to make it easier, but leave large pieces.
- Chop the cilantro, onion, garlic and add to tomatoes in a 10 quart stock pot.
- Chop jalapeños and habanero (or scotch bonnet) peppers) and put in the stock pot. You can core and seed them for less heat. I recommend wearing disposable gloves and a mask or tying a dish cloth around your mouth and nose. Wash your hands with hot soapy water after working with the peppers and avoid touching your face or eyes.
- Add cumin, salt and vinegar to the stock pot and stir to mix.
- Bring to a boil and lower temperature. Keep at a low boil for 2-3 hours or until the volume is reduced by half.
- Cool the cooked salsa completely before putting it in freezer bags or containers.
Approximate nutrition information is provided as a convenience and courtesy only. You are encouraged to do your own calculations if precise data is required.
This spicy hot BBQ sauce has a decidedly Mexican flavor to it with the addition of the cumin and chili powder. I used it for a cooking sauce for grilled shrimp and for serving with fish tacos.