My son and his family just left on Monday after a nice visit. On Saturday we hosted a little gathering of family, including my parents and my granddaughters. We'd had an early dinner, so when granddaughter Mandy pulled up a video of mozzarella onion rings in the evening, we knew we had to have them. Right then.
If you haven't yet seen the video, these things combine two of our favorite deep-fried foods into one! Sliced onions are paired according to size so that a gap in the middle can be filled with thinly sliced fresh mozzarella cheese. The whole thing is then dipped in flour, beaten egg, and bread crumbs before being deep-fried and served with a side of marinara. Oh my, Mozzarella Onion Rings.
Mozzarella Onion Rings
- Large heavy bottomed pot
- 2 large sweet onions cut into ½" slices
- 1 lb Fresh mozzarella cheese cut into ½ inch slices
- ½ cup Flour
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 cup Plain breadcrumbs
- ½ cup Marinara sauce
- Slice onion into rings about ½ inch wide. Slice fresh mozzarella cheese into long slices, ½" wide. Pair onion rings up so that slices of cheese and fit tightly between the slices.
- Push the cheese between the onion rings, filling in the gap completely.
- Dredge the onion cheese rings with flour and place in freezer for at least 45 minutes, overnight is best.
- Dip the frozen rings into the beaten egg, then coat completely with breadcrumbs. Fry in peanut or canola oil until lightly golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and serve hot with a side of marinara sauce.
Approximate nutrition information is provided as a convenience and courtesy only. You are encouraged to do your own calculations if precise data is required.
Need another great appetizer featuring Mozzarella? What about Fried Mozzarella with Blood Orange Bourbon Sauce?
Since you already have the marinara, let's keep the party going with Perfect Garlic Sticks!