Michael did a little grocery shopping a couple of days ago. He bought bananas which were perfect that day and too ripe the next. Last night's craving for something sweet had me thinking about those bananas. I posted this recipe for banana cake almost two years ago and still remember it fondly. I didn't have time to make it according to the directions so I tweaked it. I bumped the oven temperature up from 275 degrees to 350 degrees and skipped the step of placing it straight into the freezer from the oven for 45 minutes. With a few little changes, we had a nice slice of moist banana cake with cream cheese frosting as a bedtime snack.
Here's the recipe for Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting as I made it last night.
- For the cake:
- 1 1/2 cups bananas (mashed, ripe)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter (softened)
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 1 8 ounce packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease and flour a 9 x 13 pan.
- In a small bowl, mix mashed banana with the lemon juice; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream 3/4 cup butter and 2 cups sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in 2 tsp vanilla.
- Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
- Stir in banana mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven a until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. I used a glass 9x12 pan and baked for 55 minutes. Your baking time could vary. Check for doneness at 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place directly into the freezer for 45 minutes or until cooled. This will make the cake very moist.
- For the frosting, cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Add confectioner's sugar and beat on low-speed until combined, then on high-speed until frosting is smooth.
- Spread on cooled cake.