Michael did a little grocery shopping a couple of days ago. He bought bananas which were perfect that day and too ripe the next. Last night's craving for something sweet had me thinking about those bananas. I posted this recipe for Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting almost two years ago and still remember it fondly. I didn't have time to make it according to the directions so I tweaked it. I bumped the oven temperature up from 275 degrees to 350 degrees and skipped the step of placing it straight into the freezer from the oven for 45 minutes. With a few little changes, we had a nice slice of moist banana cake with cream cheese frosting as a bedtime snack.
Here's the recipe as I made it last night.
Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 9 x 13 baking pan
- Small bowl
- Medium bowl
- Large bowl
For the cake:
- 1 ½ cups bananas mashed, ripe
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 cups flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup butter softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
For the frosting:
- ½ cup butter softened
- 1 8 ounce packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 ½ cups confectioner's sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease and flour a 9 x 13 pan.
- In a small bowl, mix mashed banana with the lemon juice; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream ¾ cup butter and 2 cups sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in 2 teaspoon vanilla.
- Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
- Stir in banana mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven a until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. I used a glass 9x12 pan and baked for 55 minutes. Your baking time could vary. Check for doneness at 50 minutes. Mine took 55 minutes in a glass pan.
- Remove from oven and place directly into the freezer for 45 minutes or until cooled. This will make the cake very moist.
- For the frosting, cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Add confectioner's sugar and beat on low-speed until combined, then on high-speed until frosting is smooth.
- Spread on cooled cake.
Approximate nutrition information is provided as a convenience and courtesy only. You are encouraged to do your own calculations if precise data is required.
We take every effort to ensure that the estimated meal cost per serving is accurate. We use a meal cost analysis application that estimates the cost of a recipe based on groceries purchased at a Walmart store in my geographical area, northern California.
If you love babana cake you simply must try my Bavarian Cream Banana Cake.
55 minutes in a glass pan at 350 degrees.
I baked the cake today and using a glass pan it took 55 minutes. 🙂
Sandra @ Scrumptilicious 4 You! says
Love your link! Thanks for partying with us on the Four Seasons Blog Hop! Sandra from Scrumptilicious 4 You!
Thank you. And they were delicious too!
I've got some bananas perfectly ripe for this type of cake. Thanks for the inspiration! I'm glad I found your post through the Jam Hands link party.
Shikha @ Shikha la mode says
Love that high frosting-to-cake ratio!
Beautiful photo! And it looks delicious too!