It's the first Friday in May, time for all the Ina Friday Bloggers to cook and share a recipe from Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa. This month's theme is Soups, Salads, and Sides which leaves us a lot of choices. I chose Ina's Caramelized Butternut Squash.
I am always horrified and amazed when Ina cuts up a butternut squash. I always expect to see EMT's rushing in to get her to the nearest trauma center. Every time I cut up a butternut squash, I feel the same way. There is just something very frightening about the process. I am always waiting for the knife to slip or the squash to shift unexpectedly. As I was shopping for squash for this recipe, I noticed with delight and relief, that pre-cubed butternut squash was available in a big tub. Someone else had taken the risk of cutting this thing up, just so I could cook it. It is probably a lot cheaper to buy a whole squash and cut it up yourself, but if you factor in the cost of finger re-attachment surgery, this tub was a bargain! (Update: My friend Alyce Morgan from More Time at the Table shared a tip for peeling butternut squash with ease. Just puncture the skin in a few places with a knife, microwave whole for 5 minutes. Let it cool a bit, then peel it with a vegetable peeler! It works great!)
Ina's Caramelized Butternut Squash is so simple, yet so tasty, as are most of her recipes. With the squash pre-prepped, this dish came together in less than half an hour. I didn't need to cook it as long as Ina's recipe because the cubes were smaller. This would be the perfect side dish for any weeknight dinner or elegant at a dinner party. If you need to add a touch of color to a meal, this is the way to go. I made it my own with a topping of fresh crunchy pomegranate seeds just before serving.
Photo Credit: Mary O'Brien, Oh That's Good
I hope you make and enjoy Ina's Caramelized Butternut Squash as much as we did. Please jump over to see what recipes the other Ina Friday bloggers chose. That is my favorite part of Ina Fridays except for the food, of course. (Update: Sadly the Ina Fridays Blogger broke up several years ago but the recipes live on the internet forever!)
Happy Ina Friday!
- Alyce @ More Time at the Table
- Ansh @ Spice Roots
- Chaya @ Bizzy Bakes
- Linda, @ Tumbleweed Contessa
- Mireya @ My Healthy Eating Habits
- Peggy@ Pantry Revisited
- Rocky Mountain Woman @ Rocky Mountain Woman
- Veronica@ My Catholic Kitchen
Here is Ina's recipe for Caramelized Butternut Squash.
Ina's Caramelized Butternut Squash
- 2 medium butternut squash 4 to 5 pounds total
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- ¼ cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup fresh pomegranite seeds
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut off and discard the ends of each butternut squash. Peel the squash, cut them in half lengthwise, and remove the seeds.
- Cut the squash into 1 ¼ to 1 ½-inch cubes and place them on a baking sheet.
- Add the melted butter, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. With clean hands, toss all the ingredients together and spread in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Roast for 45 to 55 minutes, until the squash is tender and the glaze begins to caramelize.
- While roasting, turn the squash a few times with a spatula, to be sure it browns evenly. Taste for seasonings. Top with fresh pomegranate seeds and serve hot.