I am still looking for ways to use my surplus Meyer lemons and I woke up hungry. As luck would have it, yesterday I bought a loaf of Meyer Lemon Rosemary bread from the local market. This is one of a series of artisan breads that they get in daily. It is a beautiful loaf of bread. It worked so well with my Poached Egg with Lemon Butter Sauce.
I like all the nooks and crannies and I think you know why.
Since the bread uses Meyer lemon and rosemary I decided to follow suit with my egg. I toasted the bread, added a poached egg on top with a Meyer Lemon Butter Sauce.
Does it look good?
It tastes even better than it looks.
As if that's possible. It made me want to go back to bed and get up again so I could have another.
Poached Egg with Lemon Butter Sauce
- 2 Slices toasted bread
- 2 Poached egg
For the sauce:
- 1 Meyer or regular lemon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3 TBS butter
- Pinch of salt
- Zest a Meyer lemon and slice into thin slices. Remove seeds and discard. Add the slices and zest to a small saucepan on low heat.
- Add 3 TBS butter and cook slowly until the lemons soften and give up their juices. Watch carefully to prevent the butter from browning.
- Leave the lemon slices in the pan until ready to use. You can reheat it if necessary.
- Poach an egg and serve it on toasted bread. While the egg is still hot drizzle the lemon butter over the top of the egg and toast. Use as much as you like.
- Serve with cracked black pepper and a little kosher salt.
- The lemons from the sauce should be cooked enough to serve along side the egg and toast. Meyer lemons are not as tart as regular lemons and I enjoyed little bites of the cooked lemon along with the egg and toast.
Approximate nutrition information is provided as a convenience and courtesy only. You are encouraged to do your own calculations if precise data is required.
We take every effort to ensure that the estimated meal cost per serving is accurate. We use a meal cost analysis application that estimates the cost of a recipe based on groceries purchased at a Walmart store in my geographical area, northern California.