Starbucks’ classic coffee cake is a delicious and popular pastry that has become a staple item on the menu for many customers, myself included. Starbucks’ classic coffee cake recipe has been perfected over time, with careful attention to the ingredients and preparation methods. We celebrate little special occasions with a trip to Starbucks for a mocha and a slice of delicious coffee cake. This Starbucks' Classic Cinnamon Coffee Cake Recipe is close enough to make you think you just picked up the real thing at the drive-thru.
If your favorite treat at Starbucks is the coffee cake, our Copycat Starbucks Coffee Cake Recipe must be included in your collection of favorite coffee cake recipes.
The cake is made with high-quality, simple ingredients, including real butter, fresh eggs, and pure vanilla extract, contributing to its rich, buttery flavor and moist texture.
The moist cake is topped with a sweet and crunchy streusel. It is the ultimate topping, made from cinnamon, brown sugar, butter, and flour. This adds a delicious contrast in texture and flavor to the soft and tender cake, making each bite a satisfying experience. Grab a cup of coffee and let's get busy.
- Flour - All-purpose flour is recommended but substitutions like almond flour would work but might change the taste or texture of the cake or the bake time.
- Unsalted Butter - in a pinch salted butter will work. Omit the pinch of salt if you use salted butter.
- Vanilla - use pure vanilla extract.
- Sour Cream - use regular sour cream not light. Substitute full-fat Greek yogurt for the sour cream if you like. Your cake will be a little more tangy if you use yogurt.
- Cinnamon - use a good brand of ground cinnamon. I recommend spending a bit more than the store brands for the extra flavor.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Spray an 8x8 inch cake pan with baking spray, or grease with butter and sprinkle lightly with flour. Tap out excess flour.
Mix room-temperature butter and sugar in a large bowl until it’s light and fluffy. Do not overmix.
Add eggs one at a time. Mix to incorporate the wet ingredients.
Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt. Mix on low until well mixed.
Add the Greek yogurt and vanilla. Mix until combined. Don't overmix.
Pour half of the batter into the bottom of the prepared pan.
Add the grated butter, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, and flour in a medium bowl.
Mix with a fork or your fingertips until crumbly. You should see bits of butter.
Sprinkle half the streusel mixture evenly over the cake batter.
Add the remaining batter onto the streusel in large dollops.
Use a knife or offset spatula to spread the dollops into an even layer.
Sprinkle the remaining half of the streusel mixture onto the batter.
Bake in a 325-degree oven for 35 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Cool the coffee cake before slicing. Best served warm or at room temperature.
Hint: The thick batter will be easier to spread evenly if you use a small offset spatula, especially when adding the second half onto the loose streusel.
- Stand mixer or hand-held mixer
- 8" x 8" cake pan
- Rubber spatula
- Offset spatula
- Large bowl for batter and a separate bowl for the streusel
TOP TIP for Starbucks' Classic Cinnamon Coffee Cake Recipe
The butter used in the cake batter needs to be softened to room temperature to mix well with the sugar. However, be sure the butter you use for the streusel topping is very cold. If it is room temperature you will get a paste instead of a crumble. The easiest way to prepare the cold butter is to grate it with the largest opening of a box grater! Great way to add cold butter to pie crusts and biscuits too. Keep it refrigerated after grating. Remove the grated butter from the fridge when you are ready to use it.
Wrap the completely cooled homemade coffee cake with aluminum foil, parchment paper, or plastic wrap then place it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Can be frozen by tightly wrapping individual pieces of coffee cake in plastic wrap, then placing them in a freezer container or freezer bag before freezing. This double layer of protection keeps the coffee cake soft and fresh. Thaw completely before eating. If the cake seems a tad dry, microwave it for 10 - 15 seconds.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Starbucks' Classic Cinnamon Coffee Cake Recipe
- Hand-held mixer or stand mixer
- 8" x 8" cake pan
- Rubber spatula
- Offset spatula or butter knife
- Baking spray
For the cake batter:
- ½ cup butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup Greek Yogurt full fat yogurt for best results
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the cinnamon streusel:
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- Spray an 8" x 8" cake pan with baking spray, or grease with butter and sprinkle lightly with flour. Tap out excess flour. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix room-temperature butter and sugar in a large bowl using a hand mixer until light and fluffy. Do not over-mix.
- Add eggs, one at a time. Mix just to incorporate the ingredients.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix on low until the batter is well mixed. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Add the Greek yogurt and vanilla. Mix until combined. Don't over-mix.
- Pour half of the batter into the bottom of the prepared pan. Spread it out evenly.
- In a medium bowl add the grated butter, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, and flour.
- Mix with a fork or your fingertips until crumbly. You should still see little bits of butter.
- Sprinkle half the streusel mixture evenly over the top of the batter.
- Add the rest of the batter onto the cinnamon layer in large dollops.
- Use a knife or offset spatula to spread the dollops into an even layer.
- Sprinkle the remaining half of the crumb topping mixture onto the batter.
- Bake in a 325-degree oven for 35 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the coffee cake before slicing. I like to cut the cake in thirds and again in thirds in the opposite direction for 9 generous slices of cake. Best served warm or at room temperature.
Approximate nutrition information is provided as a convenience and courtesy only. You are encouraged to do your own calculations if precise data is required.
We take every effort to ensure that the estimated meal cost per serving is accurate. We use a meal cost analysis application that estimates the cost of a recipe based on groceries purchased at a Walmart store in my geographical area, northern California.