Fall season is such a magical time, especially with the abundance of crisp apples readily available at the grocery store. While many are drawn to the classic apple pie or the comforting warmth of apple crisp as their go-to sweet treats, it's worth diving into 16 Savory Apple Recipes for Fall that shine a spotlight on fresh apples. Imagine taking those fresh apples, adding a twist, and turning them into dishes that can transform your fall dinners. So, while everyone's talking sweet, why not challenge ourselves to think savory this apple season?
Let's talk about a new way to enjoy apple slices: paired with Brussels sprouts and pork tenderloin. Imagine the touch of sweetness from granny smith apples meeting a well-cooked pork tenderloin on a busy weeknight. Drizzle it with some olive oil, sprinkle some fresh herbs, and you've got yourself an easy recipe that screams fall. This could make a delicious side dish or even a main course for your next Thanksgiving dinner.
Speaking of side dishes, why not try pairing apple slices with sweet potatoes? With a touch of lemon juice, some gruyere cheese, and you've got a tart recipe that has both a buttery crust and a perfect pairing of fall fruit. And if you're in the mood for something a bit more traditional, apple cake or apple butter slathered on a pie crust is just the ticket. Remember, whether you're looking for sweet or savory, there are countless delicious recipes awaiting your culinary touch this apple season. Enjoy every bite!
WHAT ARE THE BEST APPLE VARIETIES FOR SAVORY DISHES?
In the world of savory apple dishes, not all apples are created equal. The right variety can make or break your dish. So, for those mouthwatering meals that won't break the bank, here are the top apple varieties to consider:
- Granny Smith: With its tart flavor and firm texture, it holds up beautifully in cooking and pairs well with robust flavors like onions, cheeses, and meats.
- Braeburn: A balance of sweet and tart, Braeburns add a nice crunch to salads and savory dishes, maintaining their integrity even when cooked.
- Honeycrisp: Crisp and slightly sweet, they're a versatile choice for dishes where you need a hint of sweetness without overpowering other ingredients.
- Pink Lady (or Cripps Pink): Offering a zesty tang and hint of sweetness, they're excellent in chutneys or paired with pork.
- Golden Delicious: Mild and sweet, these apples are great for dishes where you want a subtle apple presence without a tart punch.
Remember, regardless of the variety, always look for firm apples with no soft spots.
SAVORY APPLE RECIPES FOR FALL
There you have it! From the crunchy textures to the delightful balance of sweet and savory flavors, apples truly are the unsung heroes of fall cuisine. Whether you're opting for a dish from cheap to splurge, you're sure to find a recipe that'll make those autumn nights extra special. Try any or all of these savory apple dishes and experience the magic firsthand. Until next time, happy cooking, with apples!