Learn How to Make Crispy Homemade Air Fryer Croutons in less than 15 minutes with an air fryer and a few pantry staples. You'll need some day-old bread, butter and/or olive oil, salt, pepper, parsley (optional), and cheese powder (also optional.) Who wants to put dry, crunchy store-bought croutons on your favorite salad or one of your favorite soups when you can have fresh, crispy croutons instead?
WHAT MAKE THIS A GREAT GO-TO RECIPE?
- It could not be any easier.
- It is a great way to use leftover bread and rolls.
- It is an air fryer recipe but you can also make it in a conventional oven.
- You can make croutons just for snacking. We do it all the time.
MARY'S TWO CENTS
This recipe is extra budget-friendly primarily because it uses stale bread that you might have thrown out anyway! It doesn't make sense to throw away stale bread then go to the grocery store and buy a $6.99 bag of croutons. They are possibly stale, usually hard as a rock, and flavored with all kinds of spices and preservatives. Skip all that and make your own Crispy Homemade Air Fryer Croutons!
For the full recipe with quantities, see the recipe card at the end of the post.
- Bread - For the best croutons, use stale bread instead of fresh bread. The kind of bread can be:
- Italian bread
- French bread
- sourdough bread
- leftover bread
- leftover baguette.
- It does not have to be just white bread. I have used rye bread, seeded bread, whole wheat, etc. Just this week I made croutons for a spinach salad with fancy seed and nut bread. It was perfect for that salad!
- Seasoning -
- I seasoned the bread for this recipe with salt, pepper, and a cheesy seasoning from Trader Joe's that contains garlic powder, onion powder, rosemary, and oregano, essentially Italian herbs. If you don't have the cheesy seasoning, use dried Italian seasoning or omit it completely. Parmesan cheese is a great choice to substitute for the cheesy seasoning.
- I always choose alternative seasonings for my croutons based on what I am serving. There are no rules.
- Oil / Butter -
- I use equal amounts of olive oil and butter. I like the extra flavor of the olive oil but I want the sweetness of the butter. Use what you like.
- I sometimes make croutons out of stale bread to avoid waste. I freeze them for use later. If I am freezing the croutons, I use a neutral oil like vegetable oil or avocado oil.
- If you are watching your intake of fats, you can just spritz the cubed bread lightly with olive oil spray.
- Parsley - I use it because I like the taste and appreciate the pops of green on the croutons. Feel free to leave it out or use another fresh herb.
Cube bread and add seasonings and parsley. Toss to mix well.
Pour on the oil and/or melted butter and toss again to coat the bread cubes.
Place the bread cubes in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
Air fry at 350 degrees for 8 minutes. Set a reminder to shake halfway thru.
Halfway thru, shake the basket to move and flip the croutons. Continue cooking.
When the croutons are crispy and brown remove and cool to room temperature.
LOOKING FOR MORE UNIQUE BREAD RECIPES?
Try my squash dinner rolls which are light, fluffy, and lightly squash flavored. You might also like Goudarooni, a delicious Italian bread with a broccoli cheese filling.
- Air fryer
- Bread knife
- Large bowl for tossing the bread cubes
FOOD STORAGE TIPS
After the croutons have cooled completely, store them in an airtight container at room temperature and use them within five days. You can refrigerate croutons for up to 6-7 days. If you store croutons in the freezer, they are safe to eat for 4-6 weeks.
These croutons are delicious in a Caesar salad, sprinkled atop a bowl of hot tomato soup, or just enjoyed as a snack.
How to Make Crispy Homemade Air Fryer Croutons
- Air Fryer
- Bread Knife
- wooden spoon
- 2 cups cubed bread
- 1 tablespoon cheesy seasoning or two tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Cube the bread slices into 1" cubes. Put the cubed bread in a large mixing bowl. Add the seasonings and parsley. Toss to mix well.
- Pour on the oil and/or melted butter and toss again to coat the bread cubes.
- Place the bread cubes in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
- Air fry at 350 degrees for 8 minutes. Set a reminder to shake halfway through.
- Halfway thru, shake the basket to move and flip the croutons. Continue cooking.
- When the croutons are crispy and brown, remove them from the air fryer basket and cool to room temperature.
- Enjoy on your favorite salad or soup.
Approximate nutrition information is provided as a convenience and courtesy only. You are encouraged to do your own calculations if precise data is required.
We take every effort to ensure that the estimated meal cost per serving is accurate. We use a meal cost analysis application that estimates the cost of a recipe based on groceries purchased at a Walmart store in my geographical area, northern California.
How to Make Crispy Homemade Air Fryer Croutons will help you take your old stale bread and turn it into delicious, perfectly crispy, seasoned to your liking, croutons to enhance your soups and salads. Mine usually get eaten right out of hand while still warm!