If you have a couple of apples and a sheet of frozen puff pastry, you can probably make apple strudel! You'll also need a little sugar and cinnamon, but that's about it to make Easy Apple Pastry Recipe (Strudel). I prefer to use Granny Smith apples when baking for the best flavor and texture, but really, any apple will work. For a comedian's review of the Granny Smith apple, check out Apple Rankings.
I stand by my Granny Smith opinion. This is apple puff pastry perfection!
Ingredients for Easy Apple Pastry Recipe (Strudel):
- Granulated sugar
- Puff pastry (keep chilled until needed)
- Cream (optional)
- Coarse Sugar (optional)
- Egg (optional)
- Confectioner's sugar (optional)
(See recipe card for amounts)
- Peel, core and slice the apples, then toss in a bowl with lemon juice.
- Lightly sauté the sliced apples with sugar and cinnamon.
- Remove apples from pan and cool completely.
- Place the chilled puff pastry on your work surface, directly on the baking sheet, lined with parchment paper for best results. Pinch the seams with your fingers and gently roll with a rolling pin.
- Cut the flaps into ½" strips with pizza cutter or knife. (see video below for demonstration)
- Place the cooled apples in the center of the puff pastry.
- Sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Fold the strips back over the apples, alternating from one side to the other.
- Brush the top with heavy cream and sprinkle with coarse sugar for lightly golden brown top with crunchy sugar... (or)
- Brush the top lightly with egg wash for an allover golden brown crust... (or)
- You can omit this step completely and just sprinkle the pastry with confectioner's sugar after baking.
- Place the strudel on a baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- If it starts to get too brown, lay a piece of aluminum foil over the top until the pastry is cooked through.
- Remove the Easy Apple Strudel from the oven.
- Allow the pastry to cool before slicing, garnishing, and eating!
Serving Suggestions and Storage for Easy Apple Pastry Recipe (Strudel)
Cover with plastic wrap for eating the same day. If not, store refrigerated in an airtight container.
Before you head off to make my Easy Apple Pastry Recipe (Strudel), take a look at Ina's French Apple Tart. It has a perfectly crisp pie crust and apple filling on top. It is so good!
Apple Strudel Using Puff Pastry
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Pastry brush
- Small bowl
- 2 apples peeled, cored and sliced.
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ tablespoon flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon depending
- 1 sheet thawed puff pastry dough (keep chilled until needed)
Finishes (choose one)
Cream and coarse sugar
- 1 tablespoon cream optional
- Coarse Sugar optional
- 1 egg yolk optional
- 1 tablespoon cold water optional
- Confectioner's sugar optional
For the apple filling:
- Peel, core and slice the apples. In a large bowl combine apples with lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Combine the half tablespoon of flour into 2 tablespoons of water to make a slurry. Stir well to mix.
- Combine apple slices, sugar, and cinnamon in a non-stick skillet. Cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves, the apples soften, and a rich caramel sauce forms.
- If the sauce is too thin, add the flour water/slurry and stir until thickened. if the liquid evaporates completely add more water, one tablespoon at a time.
- Remove the apple mixture the from heat and allow to cool completely.
For the pastry:
- Unfold the puff pastry sheets and place it on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Pinch the creases together and use a rolling pin to gently smooth it all out.
- Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut the edges of the pastry in ½" segments up to the center piece of dough.
- Lay the apples evenly down the center of the pastry.
- Fold the pastry pieces back over the apples, alternating from side to side.
Before baking choose one of the following for the top of the pastry.
Cream and coarse sugar:
- Brush the top of the pastry with cream and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Beat one egg yolk with a tablespoon of cold water. Brush the egg wash over the top of the pastry.
Powdered Sugar: done after baking!
- Dust with powdered sugar after the strudel bakes and cools.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cove loose with foil if the top browns too quickly.
- Expect some of the juices to run and caramelize on the pan. Pastry is done when the top is golden brown and the bottom is brown when lifted gently with a spatula.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow the pastry to cool for 5 minutes.
- Using a spatula, remove the pastry and finish cooling it on a wire rack. Serve warm or room temperature.
- If using powdered sugar, dust it on now by placing a little in a strainer and gently tapping the side to sprinkle it over the pastry,
- If serving for dessert, top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Approximate nutrition information is provided as a convenience and courtesy only. You are encouraged to do your own calculations if precise data is required.
If you love flaky crust, next time try my Cheese Danish with Refrigerated Dough. Like Pepperidge Farms, only handmade at home!
Have you tried my Apple Hand pies? They are reminiscent of an apple turnover recipe except these have flaky pie crust.