Finding the right seasonings for meatloaf can be difficult. My Mom made the best meatloaf, hands down. Her meatloaf was truly a family favorite. Her recipes were rarely written down. I loved to watch her cook and learned so much by doing so. She is gone now, but I believe her meatloaf lives on. My Homemade Meatloaf Seasoning Blend Plus Meatloaf Recipe comes very close to the taste of her perfect meatloaf. This meatloaf seasoning mix leans a bit Italian, but not in a major way. It is rounded out with garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, and black pepper. It tastes very similar to the pre-made meatloaf seasoning in the little packets.
I serve homemade meatloaf the way my Mom did, with mashed potatoes, peas, and a slice of buttered white bread.
This Meatloaf Seasoning Blend is:
- adaptable to your family's taste preferences
- easy to make and store
- better for people with food allergies since you control what goes in it
- made with natural flavors
- your own spice blend
- great to make in a big batch to give as a gift in pretty jars with your meat loaf recipe
Full ingredients list & measurements are provided in the recipe card.
Mix seasoning mix ingredients into a small bowl.
Sprinkle the spice mix onto the ground meat.
Mix to distribute the spices evenly.
Add your favorite meatloaf ingredients. (See notes in the recipe card for meatloaf recipe)
Form the meat mixture into a log and place it in a 5-inch loaf pan.
Brush with glaze and bake in the oven until cooked through.
Optional Spice Blends:
- Add a teaspoon of ground mustard to add more savory flavor to this spice blend.
- Swap out the Italian seasoning for Cajun seasoning and the onion powder with dehydrated onion.
- Go Tex-Mex by swapping out the Italian seasoning with cumin and ancho chili powder.
- Go Asian by swapping out the Italian seasoning with ground star anise and granulated garlic in place of the garlic powder.
Ketchup or tomato sauce combined with brown sugar, garlic and onion powder, salt, pepper, and vinegar creates an irresistible sauce. I use ¼ cup ketchup and 2 tablespoons brown sugar for my flavorful meatloaf glaze.
Looking for More About Spices?
- Measuring spoons
- Large Bowl (used in making meatloaf)
- Loaf pan (used in making meatloaf)
I suggest making this Homemade Meatloaf Seasoning Blend in bulk and storing the dry seasoning it in an airtight container or glass jars with lids. It will be ready whenever you need it!
Homemade Meatloaf Seasoning Blend Plus Meatloaf Recipe
- Small bowl
- Airtight container
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Mix all the seasoning ingredients into a small bowl. Stir well to combine. Store in airtight container until ready to use. Then...
- Add seasoning to 2 pounds of ground beef. Add to your favorite meatloaf ingredients. Work with hands until well combined. Put meat in a greased loaf pan. Bake at 350-degree oven for 45 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.
Approximate nutrition information is provided as a convenience and courtesy only. You are encouraged to do your own calculations if precise data is required.
We take every effort to ensure that the estimated meal cost per serving is accurate. We use a meal cost analysis application that estimates the cost of a recipe based on groceries purchased at a Walmart store in my geographical area, northern California.