Today, we're focusing on an easy and satisfying recipe: Easy Garlic Parmesan Cream Sauce for Pasta. This recipe is a great example of how a few basic ingredients like minced garlic, Italian seasoning, and heavy cream can come together to create a rich and creamy sauce. Ideal for a quick weeknight dinner, this sauce pairs beautifully with pasta and can be ready in no time. Let's get started on making this delightful yet easy-to-prepare dish.
MARY'S TWO CENTS
Let's talk budget. This recipe falls under the 'cheap' category, costing under $4.00 per serving. It's proof that you don't need to spend a fortune to enjoy a rich and flavorful pasta sauce. The use of common pantry staples like minced garlic, Italian seasoning, and all-purpose flour helps keep costs low while delivering a high-quality taste.
For the full recipe with exact measurements, see the recipe card at the end of the post.
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese: Its rich flavor is key to this creamy garlic sauce.
- Minced garlic: Use a garlic press for best results, or finely chop for a bolder garlic presence.
- All-purpose flour: This thickens the sauce, giving it the perfect consistency.
- Chicken broth: Adds depth to the white sauce, making it more than just a simple cream sauce.
- Italian seasoning: This brings in the herby notes, complementing the garlic cream sauce beautifully.
STEP-BY-STEP PHOTO INSTRUCTIONS
Step 1: Melt the butter over medium-low heat.
Step 2: Add the garlic and Italian seasoning to the melted butter.
Step 3: Cook until fragrant for 45-60 sec.
Step 4: Add the flour and whisk or stir with a rubber spatula to form a paste.
Step 5: Slowly pour in the broth, whisking constantly until smooth and combined.
Step 6: Bring to a low simmer over medium heat for about 2 minutes or until it thickens.
Step 7: Add heavy cream and grated Parmesan cheese.
Step 8: Whisk and heat until the cheese melts and the sauce is smooth and creamy.
Step 9: Boil Pasta according to the package directions.
Step 10: Pour the garlic Parmesan sauce over the top and enjoy.
Hint: Serve with chicken and potatoes, chicken and rice, pasta, with bread, as a dipping sauce, or toss over wings! The possibilities are endless.
Not everyone has the same pantry items or dietary preferences, so here are some handy substitutions:
- Heavy cream can be replaced with whole milk or skim milk for a lighter version.
- For a vegetarian twist, swap chicken broth with vegetable broth.
- Don’t have fresh garlic? Garlic powder or roasted garlic can step in.
This garlic parmesan cream sauce is versatile. Here's how you can change it up:
- Add red pepper flakes for a spicy kick.
- Mix in sautéed mushrooms or spinach for a veggie boost.
- It's not just for pasta! Use it as a pizza sauce, dipping sauce for chicken wings or chicken tenders, or drizzle over pork chops.
- Small Stock Pot
- Measuring cups and Spoons
- Rubber Spatula
Store this delicious sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat on the stove over low heat, adding a bit of water or broth if needed to thin it out.
- Use a large saucepan to prevent splashing while whisking.
- Gradually add flour to avoid lumps.
- Melt butter on medium heat and keep an eye to not burn the fresh garlic.
- Remember, heavy whipping cream and whole milk can be used interchangeably, but cream gives the best flavor.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Yes, you can make this garlic parmesan cream sauce ahead of time. Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When you're ready to use it, gently reheat it on the stove, adding a bit of water or broth if the sauce has thickened too much in the fridge.
Easy Garlic Parmesan Cream Sauce Recipe for Pasta
- Small Stock Pot
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Rubber spatula
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (adjust per your garlic taste levels)
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 cup chicken broth or vegetable broth
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt (more to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups cooked pasta
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add the minced or grated garlic and Italian seasoning.
- Cook until fragrant for 45-60 sec.
- Add the flour and whisk or stir with a rubber spatula to form a paste.
- Slowly pour in the broth, whisking constantly until smooth and combined.
- Bring to a low simmer over medium heat for about 2 minutes or until it thickens.
- Remove from heat. Add heavy cream and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Whisk until the cheese melts and the sauce is smooth and creamy.
- Taste at this point and adjust the seasoning (add more salt and pepper) to your liking. Enjoy!
Approximate nutrition information is provided as a convenience and courtesy only. You are encouraged to do your own calculations if precise data is required.
We take every effort to ensure that the estimated meal cost per serving is accurate. We use a meal cost analysis application that estimates the cost of a recipe based on groceries purchased at a Walmart store in my geographical area, northern California.
This easy recipe is perfect for a cozy night in. Next time you're craving a comforting main dish, remember this easy parmesan cream sauce. Follow these full instructions, and you'll have a creamy sauce that's sure to impress. Enjoy the process and relish the best flavor of your homemade garlic parmesan cream sauce.
This recipe is a good substitute for the white pizza sauce on my Stinking Rose Pizza!
Looking for other recipes for sauces or condiments? Try these: