Our Meyer lemon tree finally produced three sweet, juicy lemons! My immediate thought as I picked them, was to make lemon bars. Meyer lemons are sweeter and more fragrant than regular lemons making them a great choice for lemon bar recipes. If you can't get Meyer lemons, any lemon will do.
Meyer lemon season in our region of Northern California is generally from November through May.
We love lemon bars. I especially like my Lemon Bars with Pecan Shortbread Crust which reminds me of Pecan Sandie cookies.
- Confectioner's sugar
- Lemon juice and zest
- Baking Powder
(See recipe card for quantities.)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray an 8"x8" baking pan with baking spray. You can grease and flour the pan instead of spray.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a stand mixing bowl or a large bowl with a hand mixer.
- Add the flour and mix on low speed until just combined. Do not overwork the dough.
- Press the dough into the bottom and ½" up the sides of the baking dish.
- Bake the crust for 10 minutes then remove from oven and set aside.
- Make the lemon filling while the crust is baking so you can pour it on the hot crust.
- Stand mixer or hand mixer
- 8"x8" baking pan
- For the crust:
- ½ cup softened butter
- ¼ cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- For the filling:
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten with fork
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray or grease the bottom of an 8'' square glass baking pan and set aside.
For the crust:
- Using the bowl of a stand mixer or a medium bowl and hand mixer, cream the butter and confectioner's sugar together.
- Add the flour and continue mixing on low speed until just combined.
- Press the dough into the bottom of the prepared dish.
- Bake for 10 minutes then remove from oven and set aside. While the crust is baking, make the lemon filling.
For the filling:
- In a large mixing bowl add the lemon zest and granulated sugar. Stir well to combine.
- Add the lemon juice, flour, baking powder, and beaten eggs. Mix until well combined.
- Pour mixture over baked crust while still hot.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, or until the lemon filling is set. It should not jiggle in the center. Remove from oven and cool for ten minutes.
- Use a strainer to sprinkle with the top confectioner's sugar. Let the bars cool at room temperature, then chill before cutting.
- Run a sharp knife around the edge of pan, then cut into squares. Add additional confectioner's sugar just before serving.
Approximate nutrition information is provided as a convenience and courtesy only. You are encouraged to do your own calculations if precise data is required.