Pear season is almost over. I am just about ready to relinquish ownership of the last few pears on the tree to the birds, bugs, and squirrels. I think our rainy winter contributed to the abundance of fruit this year and we have enjoyed the bounty. That said, I am kind of weary of peeling pears but this Rustic Pear tart is worth the effort!This will be my last pear post for a while. My pear season swan song will be this luscious rustic pear tart.This recipe can be as easy or as hard as you want to make it. I went for "easy" and used a ready-to-bake, roll-out, store-bought crust. As a matter of fact, this is the second time I have made this tart in as many days and I used a pre-made crust both times. Feel free to make your own crust from your favorite recipe. Either way, you can't go wrong.
Rustic Pear Tart
- Pie crust ready-to-bake or homemade
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 large ripe pears peeled and thinly sliced
- 1-½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup apple juice
- ⅓ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cream
- 1 tablespoon sanding sugar
- In a large heavy bottom Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add sliced pears and cinnamon. Cook and stir for a couple of minutes. Stir in apple juice and brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook and stir until thickened, about 7-9 minutes. Add a bit more apple juice if the sauce gets too thick. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 14" circle. Transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Spoon pear filling over pastry. Spread filling out to within 2" of edge. Fold pastry edge over filling and squeeze together to make a pleat every two inches. Brush folded pastry with cream and sprinkle with coarse or sanding sugar. Bake until crust is golden and filling is bubbly, about 45-50 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before moving tart to a cooling rack. Move it with parchment in pace. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.