Imagine a plate of crispy fish and golden chips, all cooked to perfection without the hassle of deep frying. You get that with my Easy Air Fryer Fish and Chips Recipe. It's a delightful twist on a classic favorite meal, offering the same delicious taste with a healthier approach. This dish is not only a fantastic way to enjoy a classic, but it's also an easy weeknight dinner solution.
HOW THIS RECIPE CAME TO BE
This recipe started with a love for traditional fish and chips and a desire to simplify cooking. I was determined to find the best way to replicate that crispy coating and tender fish without deep frying. After several experiments, the air fryer emerged as the perfect tool, significantly reducing the use of oil while still delivering that desirable crispy fish and chips texture. Of course, homemade fries are a big plus!
- HOW THIS RECIPE CAME TO BE
- WHAT SETS THIS FISH & CHIPS RECIPE APART?
- MARY'S TWO CENTS
- KEY INGREDIENTS
- SWAP IT OUT!
- DIFFERENT TAKES ON AIR FRYER FISH & CHIPS
- EQUIPMENT ESSENTIALS
- KEEP IT FRESH
- STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS
- PRO COOKING TIPS
- Easy Air Fryer Fish and Chips Recipe
- RELATED RECIPES
WHAT SETS THIS FISH & CHIPS RECIPE APART?
What sets this air fryer fresh fish recipe apart is its ability to produce a crispy coating on the fish fillets and the chips with much less oil than traditional methods. The flour mixture, panko breadcrumbs, and carefully chosen seasonings like paprika and coriander create a flavorful, crispy exterior that's hard to resist. Additionally, cooking in a single layer in the air fryer basket ensures each piece gets evenly cooked.
MARY'S TWO CENTS
From a budget standpoint, this recipe is a gem. It fits perfectly under the' cheap' category by using affordable ingredients like cod fillets, potatoes, and basic pantry staples like all-purpose flour, olive oil, and spices. It's an excellent example of how homemade meals can be both budget-friendly and delicious.
For the full recipe with quantities, see the recipe card at the end of the post.
The success of this recipe hinges on a few key ingredients.
- The cod fillets are essential for their mild flavor and flaky texture, making them ideal for the crispy fish part of this dish.
- For the chips, using regular potatoes cut into strips and tossed in olive oil and salt before air frying transforms them into irresistible crispy fries.
SWAP IT OUT!
This recipe is adaptable to various tastes and dietary needs. If cod isn't your choice, use other flaky white fish like haddock or tilapia. And for the chips, consider using sweet potatoes for a different flavor or almond flour instead of all-purpose flour for a gluten-free option.
DIFFERENT TAKES ON AIR FRYER FISH & CHIPS
Feel free to experiment with this recipe to suit your palate. Adding spices like garlic powder, black pepper, or a dash of old bay seasoning to the flour mixture can elevate the flavor profile. You can even explore using frozen french fries for the chips if you're short on time.
A good-quality air fryer is crucial for this recipe. It's the key to achieving that perfect crispy texture without deep frying. Other essentials include a large bowl for mixing the potatoes and olive oil, a shallow bowl for the egg mixture, and another for the flour mixture, creating an efficient dredging station.
KEEP IT FRESH
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator to keep them fresh. They'll maintain their quality for a few days. When reheating, pop them back in the air fryer to restore the crispiness.
Step 1: Preheat the air fryer to 380F (for 5 minutes). Mix olive oil with chopped potatoes. Add salt and mix again.
Step 2: Place the potatoes in the air fryer basket in about a single layer. Fry for 15 minutes.
Step 3: Shake the potatoes in the air fryer basket and fry for another 10 minutes.
Step 4: Mix all purpose flour with salt and spices. Cover each piece of cod in flour.
Step 5: Beat the egg and roll the cod in a bowl. Then, roll the cod in the panko until each piece is completely coated.
Step 6: Transfer the potatoes to a plate. Place the cod in the air fryer basket and fry for 7 minutes.
Step 7: Turn the fish over and fry for another 5 minutes.
Step 8: Add the potatoes to the air fryer and fry them all together for another 3 minutes.
Yes, just pat dry to remove any excess moisture before coating.
Substitute all-purpose flour and panko breadcrumbs with their gluten-free alternatives.
Cover the fish in the egg mixture thoroughly and then in the flour mixture for the best results.
PRO COOKING TIPS
- Always preheat your air fryer for optimal cooking.
- Avoid overcrowding the air fryer basket; this ensures each fish fillet and chip cooks evenly.
- Turn the fish fillets halfway through the cooking time to ensure an evenly crispy coating.
Easy Air Fryer Fish and Chips Recipe
- Air Fryer
- Large bowl
- Shallow bowl
- 12 ounces cod fish
- 3 potatoes Peeled and cut into strips
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons Panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon coriander
- Preheat the air fryer to 380F (for 5 minutes). Mix olive oil with chopped potatoes. Add salt and mix again.
- Place the potatoes in the air fryer basket in about a single layer. Fry for 15 minutes.
- Shake the potatoes in the air fryer basket and fry for another 10 minutes.
- Mix all purpose flour with salt and spices. Cover each piece of cod in flour.
- Beat the egg in a bowl and roll the cod in it. Then roll the cod in the panko until each piece is completely coated.
- Transfer the potatoes to a plate. Place the cod in the air fryer basket and fry for 7 minutes.
- Turn the fish over and fry for another 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes to the air fryer and fry them all together for another 3 minutes.
- Serve fish and chips warm or hot with your favorite sauce and a wedge of lemon for fresh lemon juice.
Approximate nutrition information is provided as a convenience and courtesy only. You are encouraged to do your own calculations if precise data is required.
We take every effort to ensure that the estimated meal cost per serving is accurate. We use a meal cost analysis application that estimates the cost of a recipe based on groceries purchased at a Walmart store in my geographical area, northern California.
This Easy Air Fryer Fish and Chips recipe stands out for its simplicity, healthiness, and unbeatable flavor. It's a fantastic way to indulge in your favorite meal, with the added benefits of using less oil and simplifying the cooking process. Serve with lemon wedges and homemade tartar sauce for an authentic fish and chips experience right from your kitchen.
Looking for other fish and seafood recipes? Try these: